As the Christmas period approaches, it is an important time to remember to check in with our older relatives. As you visit your parents, neighbours, grandparents, and other loved ones to wish them a Merry Christmas remember to ask how they are, both physically and mentally.
At Home Nursing Group we strongly encourage our clients to notice signs and symptoms early, while there is no family emergency to start the process of engaging additional help around the home. Whether it is a cleaner, gardener, handyman or assistance doing the groceries, it is the little things that help your loved ones to stay at home and in the community for as long as possible.
As we all know, our elderly community does not commonly ask for help, so we thought it was important to note some signs you can look out for when you visit this year and consider whether they could use extra support to stay living independently at home in 2021.
Some signs to look out for:
- Neglected household maintenance – is the house untidy, is there spoiled food in the fridge or is it past their expiration date? Have they started neglecting areas of the house they used to upkeep?
- Are they struggling to keep up with their financial responsibilities, for example, are the bills are building up and unpaid?
- Have you noticed some signs of poor hygiene, for example, messy grooming habits or bad odour?
- Are they unable to keep up with the laundry?
- Are they forgetting to take their medications?
- Do they struggle carrying heavier items in from the car?
If this sounds like someone in your life, Home Nursing Group can offer your loved one support and transport to keep them connected with the people and activities they love. Such as, help with shopping or other errands, personal care and assistance with medication, respite services (to help give you a break), help with the housework and the garden as well as skilled nursing, palliative care, nutrition advice and allied health.
At Home Nursing Group we believe older people deserve to be treated with respect always, befitting their dignity and status as elders in our communities, with wisdom, experience, and stories to share. We listen and deliver high-quality, safe, accountable, and responsive services.
Considering the future needs ahead of time can help speed up the process when the need arises. Please call us today to discuss your options and start planning.
We are based in Armidale, Tamworth, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, and Taree.
Back to News